With thoughtful planning, creative thinking, imaginative use of plants and material and attention to detail, any homeowner can create a garden landscape that reflects their unique individuality and enhances their lifestyle. But, if you are running into creative stumbling blocks, or are not quite sure of your design, Phelan Gardens offers consultation services at your place or ours. Just call or email to set up an appointment. We can create a design for you OR review your design before you implement your project.
Prior Planning Prevents Poor Landscapes
Designing an enjoyable landscape is more than just picking flowers in your favorite colors. We'll peer into the future of your landscape to plan for longevity and
- Where are the areas with heavy foot traffic? Why put up a sign that says stay off the grass when you can plan a foot path into your design?
- What view (or neighbor) would you liked blocked? Create a screen with tall shrubs.
- Is there a bare wall or side of the house? Add a blooming vine!
- Is the west side of your house too hot? A large deciduous tree will offer shade.
- What might you do with that slope on your property? How about a retaining wall to hold the soil and a vegetable garden in an area?
- Is there an area for a playground set? It would be nice to have soft grass around it. Do you want to attract or deter wildlife?
As overwhelming as your project might seem now, try to consider how your landscape might change in future years. A well-designed landscape will mature and adapt with the needs of the owners. For example, today's sandbox could evolve into a patio extension, water feature, or rose arbor in later years.
As you can see, landscape design is an involved process and being prepared is crucial. If you're planning on scheduling a consultation at our place or yours, it is essential that you:
- Complete the Landscape Design Packet (available at the checkout register at Phelan Gardens),
- Bring a scale drawing of your area to be landscaped marked with directions (North, South, East, West)
- Take a few pictures of the exterior of your home/yard/site
- Bring a soil sample with you.
This information will allow the consultant to provide you with the best possible advice and answers to your questions during the 60-minute consultation session. The more information you supply by advance preparation, the more assistance we can offer. Upon completion of your consultation you'll receive a dated coupon making your Landscape Design Packet purchase an even better investment. The charge for this service, including the Landscape Design Packet and the consultation, will be payable when making the appointment.
Call or email today for additional information or to schedule your landscape consultation.